Dogs 2012

DOORBELL
(9/15/12)


the old
plastic switch
at the front
door
was not
very esthetically
pleasing

so
it was said

the fancy
antiqued metal
replacement
surprisingly
went right in
lighted
dinged
but upon
later inspection
seemed to be
superheated
by some source
from deep
within
the recesses
of the 73
year old
house

apparently
the voltage
supplied
by the vintage
electrical system
now exceeded
the safe
operating
parameters
of the newer
equipment

a new
transformer
was apparently
needed

the wiring
led to the attic
where decades
of electrical indiscretions
lurked
like very poisonous
but patient
spiders
waiting
for the unwary
trespasser

there
were also
many actual
arachnids
as well

when
the source
was found
to be two
very old
devices
cross wired
in some sort
of strange
delta wye
configuration
much hope
was loss

the hot
confined
spaces
caused much
sweat
to flow
with very few
sweet ideas

finally
the best option
seemed to be
removing
the offending
outmoded
technology

wires
were cut
parts loosened
and extracted

bodily
cuts and scratches
accumulated

but once
back down
in the living
portion
of the structure
the mood
had lightened

a trip
to the store
procured
a battery operated
wireless
system
that was installed
and working
within minutes
(as advertised)

much
relief
was felt
do to the simplification
of the circuitry
and the elimination
of a major
fire hazard

or course

the new
plastic switch
at the front
door
is not
very esthetically
pleasing

so
it is said